In accordance with the Articles of the Association, our objectives are the following:
- Promoting the respect of life and motherhood,
- Raising awareness of responsibility for and promotion of marriage and future generations,
- Representation and service of interest for the specific needs of large families,
- Building a network of large families who know and help one another.
The Association is independent of political parties, religions and ideologies, but cooperates with organisations, institutions and governmental bodies governing family and social policy, education, health, economic and financial issues. We are striving to give support through our opinion and legislative proposals. Also, we are striving to be present in various civil representative bodies which might have an impact on legislation.
NOE has always been striving to be aware of and up-to-date in information concerning the representation of the essential interests of ALL families with children. The activities of the Association comprise almost all aspects of human life. As a result, NOE deals with all kinds of queries and problems day by day.
In our interest representation work, we actively cooperate with various institutions, state and government organisations controlling family, social, equal opportunity and employment policies, education and health care, economics and finance. We strive to support legislation with judgements and proposals serving the interests of possibly all families, engaged couples and young families.
The Association was among the very first civil organisations within Hungary actually working and acting from bottom up. From the very beginning, we have been striving to participate in civil corporations exerting impact on public life and legislation. We aim to actively react on processes around us and cooperate with other civil organisations sharing the same values and aims. NOE regularly participates in various initiatives of the civil society.
As a result of our activity, our various achievements comprise the following:
- NOE has by now become one of the very biggest and most prestigious national civil organisations in Hungary.
- A successful management training system has been launched.
- Professionalism has always been considered relevant. Only recommendations of high professional relevance have been made public.
- Tax allowance after children being integrated into the law on personal income tax has been one of our major achievements.
- The national scheme of the financial aid for first home owners has been broadened as a result of our work.
- Legislation regarding debt management has been reconsidered.
- Women on maternity leave are provided with monthly passes for public transport in several towns of Hungary.
The recognition of our activities is best implied by the 5th Framework Programme of the European Commission reflecting on eleven candidate countries in 2002. The report titled ‘The role of civil society in family politics’ indicates that NGOs are at a very early stage of development in these countries, however, NOE is made prominent as follows: “In Hungary, NOE has proved successful in acting as a prestigious, authentic organisation that the government of whatever political orientation and the society can rely on. NOE was capable of acquiring autonomy, social rank and appearing as a role model to other organisations. NOE has grown out of nothing and proved to have a high profile and influence on legislation regarding family politics. NOE has been capable of establishing a network all over the country reaching even to remote villages.”
Awards received by NOE:
Our activities have been recognised with several awards in the past years:
- Hungarian Heritage Award in 2007 (This distinction awarded to Hungarian institutions or persons who have contributed to activities of Hungarian culture, economy, sports or science, to ensure the spiritual uplift of Hungarian society. The award was established in 1995.)
- Humanity Award in 2008 launched by the European Feminist Initiative (since 2014 named as Euromed Feminist Initiative)
- Solidarity for Public Education Award in 2009 launched by the Democratic Union of Pedagogues. The National Association of Large Families was awarded by the Minister of Human Capacities, Zoltán Balog.
- On behalf of the association Katalin Kardosné Gyurkó had the honour to receive the Creating Opportunities Award as an appreciation for the outstanding work they have done in order to help large families.
- Recently, in 2018, NOE received the IFFD Family Award (International Federation for Family Development), for its work on the protection of family values, as the first Hungarian and the sixth non-governmental organization worldwide. The 2018 IFFD Family Awards were presented at the UN Headquarters in New York. Besides NOE, the prize was awarded to Doha International Family Institute. ((The International Federation for Family Development is a non-governmental, independent and non-profit federation, whose primary mission is to support families through training. For further information, see the IFFD website: http://iffd.org/about-us/.)
Founded by NOE:
- In 1991, NOE founded “For Our Families Foundation” (“Családjainkért Alapítvány”). The Foundation has two major activities: an aiding program for families, and an integrated program for the support of talented children. For more info, see http://www.csaladjainkert.hu.
- In 2001, NOE founded “Home Start Hungary” (“Otthon Segítünk” Alapítvány), which is the adaptation of an English family support charity. The public benefit foundation provides practical support, assistance and friendship to families raising at least one child under the age of six. Volunteers of the Foundation are experienced parents. The Foundation is present in several cities throughout Hungary. For more info, see www.otthonsegitunk.hu
- NOE was among the 10 associations founding the Confederation of Family Associations in the Carpathian Basin (“Kárpát-medencei Családszervezetek Szövetsége”, KCSSZ in Hungarian) in 2001. The intention of the founders was to spread the family-friendly approach both in the Carpathian basin and at an international level. Through its activity, the Confederation strengthens the national identity of Hungarians in the Carpathian basin, contributing to the survival of the Hungarian language in the territories outside the borders of Hungary. For more info, see www.kcssz.hu